Having shared my digital addiction, chronic work -a-holism and excessive multi-tasking I created a personalized program- “Shake-Up Boot Camp. In my last post, “The Empress Has no Clothes” I expressed a desire to finally address the issue of achieving balance in my life. I see my endeavors as a long-term process and journey to which I commit.
Some Steps on the Road to Regaining Balance
1. Record a thorough and brutally honest accounting of how you spend your time each day in a journal.
2. Identify and examine the multiple social roles you hold. Analyze role strain and conflicts and how to address.
3. What are your priorities? What really matters? How important and how would you rank family, work, friends, hobbies, spirituality, exercise and physical fitness, travel, community service, intellectual pursuits…etc.
4. Expose and assess the gap between the reality of your current life balance ratios versus the ideal as expressed in your priorities. How can you begin to bridge the gap?
5. Eliminate meaningless rituals or tasks that are robbing you of precious time.
6. De-Stress, De-clutter and Simplify.
7. Outsource and delegate responsibilities that are not priorities or not strengths where you can.
8. Stop procrastination. Anxiety and avoidance saps more energy.
9. Arrive at a mantra to accompany, support and define your journey. What word or phrase best contributes to the regaining of balance, centeredness and serenity?
10. It is critical to be proactive and not reactive through the structuring of your day into a daily plan.