Since declaring that Revelations Trump Resolutions (see January 1 post in this blog) I have given much thought to key revelations experienced in the past year. Here is a sampling:
1. Twitter and it’s potent power for creation of a virtual support group has been the biggest and most unexpected gift of 2009.
2. Allowing others to apply a statute of limitations on one’s personal grief period is deleterious for emotional and mental health. Grief must run it’s course.
3. Reinvention is possible at any age if you are committed and focused on realistic goals.
4. Letting go of the need to over -parent adult children results in a new familial paradigm bursting with energy and promise.
5. Giving to others always lifts the spirits. Always.
6. Some friendships need to be let go of and others picked up,
7. Revision of your role in an old family script need not desecrate memories of the dearly departed.
8. Resilience is a highly underrated asset.
9. Your daughter-in-law can become a valued and supportive friend who thinks outside of the familial box.
10. Marriage is developmental and offers surprise and wonder at any age.